- A guy in Florida just won a $2 million law suit because a chair collapsed under him. He was at his lawyers office at the time. The law firm tried to blame it on the chair manufacturer, but were found liable in court. See what I mean about the universe balancing itself?
- The graduating class at Oklahoma State University will not be getting a handshake with their diplomas this year due to H1N1 paranoia. Paranoia seems to be working because so far no one in Oklahoma has been felled by swine flu.
- Turns out right-brainers will be the successes of the 21st Century according to Daniel Pink in his Oprah-approved bestseller, A Whole New Mind. He talks about the 6 six abilities individuals and organizations need master in an outsourced, automated age. I’ve been saying this for ages, but did Oprah pay any attention? No. With all our techie/number crunching jobs going overseas where they can do these things much better, faster and less expensively than us, we need to get creative. And that’s why I say nothing when you scoff at my daughter’s career aspirations in the arts.
- And speaking of brains – right, left and tiny — gun shops all over the US are running out of ammunition as citizens stock up in anticipation of Obama’s tax increase on bullets.
- Obama, Obama, what will you think of next to piss off the red-necks? Oh ya – having Dijon mustard on your cheeseburger. For shame. Extreme right-wing nutjob and FOX newsguy, Sean Hannity is vilifying the President for being an elitist un-American by shunning good old American yellow mustard.
- Women with breast cancer in Toronto can thank breast cancer survivor Emmanuelle Gattuse for donating $12.5 million to the Princess Margaret Hospital to fund a “rapid tissue processor” along with more pathologists and technicians. Women can now have imaging, biopsy, results of both and a treatment plan, if required, all on the same day. This may not sound like a big deal on the surface, but for anyone who’s been through it, it means the difference between waiting a month or more for a diagnosis. It’s awesome. And something, apparently policy makers would never invest in.
- And, in these hard economic times, (Don’t you love how almost all sentences start with that phrase lately?) it’s good to know that at least one industry is still booming: Tim Horton’s first quarter profits were up more than 7%. Yup, no matter how poor we may get, it will never outweigh the fact that we’re also too lazy to make our own coffee and/or can never get enough of lard-fried dough and sugar.
- Remember that Best Job in the World contest? Turns out The Whitest Man in the World, and all-around dork, Ben something won it.
Yes, this guy fresh from under the grey, rainy skies of the UK is going to spend the next 6 months on a sunny Australian island. Again, the wonders of balance. Don’t forget your spf 112, Ben.
Happy Mother’s Day Sunday
to all you Mums out there.