Some people act like I’m insane for cleaning my house once a week. They mock me for having a domestic routine. Until the last week, I thought all grown-ups with permanent residences had dometic routines. Then I mentioned this to some co-workers and they all laughed at me.
I’m flummoxed. Sure, I’ve known people whose homes were a tip; who only did dishes and laundry when they ran out of “clean enough” options, but I figured those were just some rare eccentrics.
To my chagrin, however, yesterday I found myself in a position of having to defend my cleaning schedule! It’s not like I turn my whole place upside down and inside out every week. I save that for the twice-a-year BIG clean.
My weekly thing (usually Saturdays) just involves:
- Taking apart the stove and cleaning up the week’s accumulated gunk that I don’t reach during the daily wipe-down.
- Wiping down the cupboards, fridge, countertops and appliances
- Wiping down any fingerprints or other schmutz on the walls
- Sorting out stuff from the fridge and freezer that’s expired and doesn’t need to be there
- Scrubbing the bathtub, toilets and sinks
- Dusting all the surfaces (Murphy’s Oil Soap on the good wood)
- Wiping down baseboards
- Vacuuming everything
- Washing the tile floors (Wood floors are only washed every other week)
It only takes a couple of hours, maybe less if the daughter is around to help. Then we do an average of 2 loads of laundry a week- not necessarily on the same day as the cleaning.
I usually have to swiffer the kitchen and bathroom floors at least once more during the week since they seem to accumulate a lot of hair and other yucky stuff, and of course, I clean things in the kitchen as I go (and YES, I do dishes right after every meal). But that’s it.
Apparently, this is all somehow freakishly Stepford or something. It’s not like I enjoy cleaning or anything. I actually hate doing. But I like the end result. Having dirty dishes standing around makes my skin crawl. And, I can’t relax and enjoy being home if things are messy.
So, I’d like to do an informal survey here, as well. Do you have a regular domestic routine or do you wait until you can no longer find the children before cleaning up? (Also, if you have a domestic partner who is the opposite of you, it would be interesting to know how you cope with that, because it would drive me nuts). Thank you.