I was at a lunch thing the other day (at the Carleton Tavern of all place…don’t I move in exalted circles??). A woman at our table ordered a hamburger with nothing on it. She ate her thin little burger patty between a tiny little bun, just like that.
She said she always has her burgers plain. I had a burger like that once when the only topping options were fried onions and ketchup. It was pretty bland and dry. Of course it was also a very, very bad veggie burger.
Veggie burgers, like meat burgers run the gamut from:
- McDonald’s (thank god they seem to be discontinued – they gave veggie burgers everywhere a bad name)
- Burger King
- Yves Burger Burger
- M&M Meat Shops
- PC Portabello Swiss (mainly because the idea of cheese mashed into my burger makes me gag and they are way, way high in fat)
- PC Soy Burger
- Schneiders Oh Natural burgers (so much crap in them)
Not too bad:
- PC Meatless Burgers (only had it once)
- Dr. Praeger (which seem to have only recently migrated to Canada)
- Lick’s (also made the best meat burgers I can remember from way back when I used to eat stuff like that)
- Venus in Halifax used to make a delicious grain/nut/seed veggie burger. It was to die for. They stopped making them and I hunt endlessly for something similar.
- Grain/nut/seed veggie burgers I make at home with PC Burger First thin buns – best thing they ever came up with. Topped with onions, tomato, lettuce and a little mayonnaise.
I love burgers.